CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) --South Carolina's Secretary of State has announced this year's 'Angels and Scrooges' and two Lowcountry organizations have made the lists.
Secretary of State Mark Hammond announced the listings on Thursday, awarding 10 'Angels' at a reception in his office.
'Angels' are picked by leading in charitable giving for the year. Mount Pleasant's East Cooper Community Outreach earned their wings after a review of their financial reports which are submitted each year to the Sec. of State's office. Angels must have given over 80 percent of their total expenditures to charitable programs and must make good use of volunteer services while receiving minimal funding from grants.
Meanwhile, 'Scrooges' failed to spend a high percentage of its collections on charitable programs. The Fraternal Order of Police Tri-County Lodge #3 in Hanahan made the list by only spending 4.1 percent on charitable programs. Organizations labeled as Scrooges devoted 40 percent or less of its expenditures to charitable programs while spending a significant amount of revenue on fundraising.
The complete Angels and Scrooges list is as follows:
- America's VetDogs - the Veterans's K-9 Corps, Inc., Smithtown, NY 80.2%
- Deep Well Project, Hilton Head Island, SC 91.6%
- Early Learning Partnership of York County, Rock Hill, SC 81.4%
- East Cooper Community Outreach (ECCO), Mount Pleasant, SC 85.4%
- Habitat for Humanity of North Augusta, North Augusta, SC 96.7%
- Humane Society of McCormick County, McCormick, SC 95.1%
- Nurturing Center, Inc., Columbia, SC 83.0%
- Rosa Clark Medical Clinic Association, Inc., Seneca, SC 99.1%
- Samaritan House of Orangeburg, Inc., Orangeburg, SC 84.3%
- South Carolina Hunters and Landowners for the Hungry, Spartanburg, SC 91.2%
- American Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc., Baltimore, MD 37.5%
- Defeat Diabetes Foundation, Inc., Madeira Beach, FL 11.8%
- Firefighters Support Services, Incorporated, Wyandotte, MI 21%
- Fraternal Order of Police Tri-County Lodge #3, Hanahan, SC 4.1%
- Fraternal Order of Police York County Lodge #15, Rock Hill, SC 9.2%
- Military Order of the Purple Heart Service Foundation, Inc., Annandale, VA 36%
- Missional Advancement Project, Inc., Aiken, SC 6.4%
- Operation Lookout National Center For Missing Youth, Everett, WA 9.9%
- United States Deputy Sheriffs' Association, Inc., Ashburn, VA 14.8%
- Veterans Support Foundation, Silver Spring, MD 24.6%
"As Secretary of State, I have the duty of enforcing the Solicitation of Charitable Funds Act, and of protecting the public against "Scrooge" organizations that want to take advantage of our giving spirit," said Hammond. "Charitable solicitations across the state have increased in the last four years because more and more people are in need of assistance. Times are still tough in South Carolina, but our residents continue to be some of the most generous people in the nation and always answer the call when it comes to defending and helping the less fortunate. However, there are those who would take advantage of our generosity. So I ask that you check out any organization before you contribute your hard-earned money."