Top Stories

Top Stories

 
text size

11 year old girl saves sisters from burning home

Updated: Monday, July 14 2014, 11:00 PM CDT



ATMORE, Ala. – An Atmore family is calling their 11-year-old daughter
a hero tonight.  She saved her two young sisters from their burning house Saturday evening.
 
The house is on the 200 block of Forest Avenue.
 
Rubye Nix, 11, said she and her sisters were in the living room when
sparks started flying from the air conditioning unit and it started a small fire near the power outlet it was plugged into.
 
“I
was playing with IPad,” Nix said. “My 1-year-old sister was asleep
and my 4-year-old sister was on my lap. I smelled something burning and
saw a small fire, so I grabbed my baby sisters and ran them out of the
house.”
 
Nix’s mother Toni Capers and her step-father, Jerry Capers, were
back at the home on Monday, looking to see what could be salvaged.
 
Toni said not much could be salvaged and many things, like family
pictures are irreplaceable.  But she was glad all of her children are safe.
 
“She (Rubye) did what she got to do and they got out,” she said. “No one could
ask for a better big sister than that.”
 
Toni says she was at work Saturday night.  Her husband was home with
the kids when all of a sudden electricity went out.
 
“All of our power went out, and I go down to my buddy’s house, which is two houses
down, to see if his power went out,” Jerry explained.
 
In those few moments, the family says lighting struck an antenna
in front of their house and that was what likely caused the fire inside the house.
 
Jerry says he came home and saw smoke coming from the house.  Thinking
the kids were still inside, he rushed back in and started rummaging through burning debris.
 
“I got first, second and third degree burns,” he said.  His hands
are now wrapped in bandages.
 
Rubye says her parents and teachers have taught her what to do in
case of emergencies and this fire put it to the test.
 
“I was thinking, ‘okay, there’s a fire, I’m getting out,” Rubye said.
 
“You teach them what to do,” Toni said, “but you hope they never
have to do it.”
 
The Red Cross is helping the Capers by putting them in a hotel through
Tuesday night. After that, the family says they don’t have a place to go.



11 year old girl saves sisters from burning home


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content