BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Top Stories

Top Stories

 
text size

Israel resumes Gaza bombing campaign

Updated: Tuesday, July 15 2014, 08:09 AM CDT

Israel launched fresh aerial attacks on Hamas targets in Gaza today after a short lived pause during which Hamas fired dozens of rockets at Israel.

Israel had initially accepted a ceasefire proposal, but Hamas had rejected it.

The proposed cease-fire, brokered by Egypt, came after seven days of rocket attacks launched from Gaza towards Israel and a plane and naval bombardment of Gaza by Israel.

The Israeli prime minister's office told ABC News that after five hours of continuous rocket fire from Gaza following the scheduled cease-fire, the country's military has been ordered to fire back.

The Israeli Defense Forces spokesperson announced the move publicly shortly after 3 p.m. Israel time.

"Hamas has fired 47 rockets since we suspended our strikes in Gaza at 9 a.m. As a result, we have resumed our operation against Hamas," the IDF announced via Twitter.

The fighting has left at least 195 Palestinians dead and more than 1,400 injured, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health. No Israeli deaths have been reported due to the rockets, although there have been several injuries.

There was briefly some optimism that the fighting would stop after the Israeli Cabinet accepted Egypt's proposal for a cease-fire, but Hamas rejected the proposal.

The Egyptian plan called for hostilities to end today, followed by negotiations on easing the border blockade of Gaza.

But about two hours after the cease-fire initiative should have taken effect, multiple rockets were launched from Gaza, intended for southern Israel. Many of the rockets were intercepted by Israel's "Iron Dome" defense system.

After Israel’s support of the cease-fire, Sami Abu Zuhri, a senior spokesman for the Palestinian organization, spoke out rejecting the plan.

"This proposal is not acceptable,” Abu Zuhri told The Associated Press.

The group’s military wing published a statement online saying it wasn't contacted about "this alleged initiative."

"For us, it is not worth the ink that wrote it," the Al Qassam Brigades, Hamas' military wing, said in the online statement. "Our battle with the enemy continues and we'll be loyal to the blood of the martyrs of the Eaten Straw battle."

Israel launched the offensive last Tuesday, saying it was responding to weeks of rocket fire out of the Hamas-ruled territory. It has massed tanks along Gaza's border and has threatened a ground invasion, but so far that has not occurred. Israel resumes Gaza bombing campaign


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content