MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Chicken wings spark damaging apartment fire

Image courtesy MGN

A Fort Walton Beach man was treated for smoke inhalation overnight, after a fire at his apartment.

City spokesperson Joanna Soria said firefighters were called to the Spanish Villa Apartments around 11:30 last night. The man was cooking chicken wings when the fire started and it got out of control.

One apartment is a total loss, and eight others have varying levels of smoke and water damage.

It took firefighters from several stations – including Fort Walton Beach, Mary Esther, Ocean City-Wright, and Okaloosa Island – to put out the fire. It took about half an hour from the time they arrived until the fire was out.

The State Fire Marshal was at the scene until around 5:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.

The person who was cooking was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary lodging for the people displaced by the fire.

Trending