MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

GRAPHIC: Space heater fire kills dog, puppies in Cantonment

WARNING: This video may be disturbing to some viewers.

WARNING: This story contains graphic details that may be disturbing to some viewers.

The cold weather in Northwest Florida led to a fire that claimed the lives of several dogs.

A cage with a female dog and three of her puppies caught fire at a home pet supply business in Cantonment on Monday night.

Laura Catterton captured the fire in an unsettling video.

WARNING: The video provided in this link may be disturbing to some viewers.

"It's a wooden cage on metal stilts that was on fire, and I was just shocked and stunned," Catterton said. "I didn't even know there was a dog in that cage at the time."

Escambia Animal Services said the fire was accidental and had sparked by a space heater inside one of the outdoor cages.

The property owner, Carlos Morrer, wasn't cited directly for the animal deaths, but he did receive several citations.

"He received multiple citations for improper shelter. He had some unlicensed animals on the property. So the officer went ahead and wrote him multiple citations at the scene and made sure all his dogs were inside or into proper shelter," Escambia County Animal Services Director John Robinson said.

Catterton said the experience has left her shaken.

"There was no chance of survival, I'm devastated. And the scene will just haunt me the rest of my life," Catterton said.

Robinson said the tragedy provides a lesson for all pet owners.

"When it's this cold outside, the animals need to be inside whether it's an adult dog, puppy, anything," Robinson explained. "They need to be inside if they can, and if they can't they need to make sure they have really good shelter. That's going to keep them warm."

Channel 3 News has tried to contact Morrer, the owner of the animals. So far efforts to reach him have been unsuccessful.

Trending