MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Liquid nitrogen dessert at fair causing concern for some

Liquid nitrogen dessert at fair causing concern for some

A popular dessert at the Pensacola Interstate Fair has one parent urging others to be wary. Tina McArthur claims her 14-year-old granddaughter suffered a chemical burn while handling a novelty dessert.

The dessert in question is called Dragon's Breath. It's described as a cereal snack that is dipped in liquid nitrogen and tastes like Fruit Loops.

It gives off the appearance of smoke coming out of the nose and mouth when eaten. However, McArthur wants to know if it's safe.

She had to take to her granddaughter to the emergency room after a burn to her thumb.

"The ER doctor had to cut it open, cut away the dead skin and get the infection out," McArthur said. "They said had we not come in and got her finger treated she could have possibly lost her thumb."

She also claims other family members fell sick.

"My nephew went out there and he had one also. He said that it froze his tongue and burnt the side of his mouth and he wasn't about to feel his tongue all night long," McArthur said.

She wants to get the word out before anyone else gets sick or hurt.

"I'm just trying to make it aware so that other parents don't have to go through what I've gone through with my granddaughter because she's been in a lot of pain dealing with this," McArthur said.

Liquid nitrogen has a low temperature between negative 196 degrees and negative 320 degrees.

Dr. Randall Reese, a pediatrician at Pensacola Pediatrics said, "If you ingest the liquid or food that has a lot of it on there it can cause severe frostbite or cryogenic burns to your mouth."

It turns to vapor when it rises above a certain temperature. Dr. Reese said liquid nitrogen is too cold for your mouth and skin.

He said, "We have seen a patient in our office who had a burn to the roof of their mouth from a small child from putting the cold food in their mouth."

Instructions are posted at the tent where Dragon's Breath is sold. Dr. Reese fears some people won't follow the rules and get hurt in the process.

"My recommendation for parents not to let their children do this and I would recommend for other parents not to do it themselves. It seems like it's something interesting and neat, but it could potentially harm you. The risks far outweigh the novelty of it," Dr. Reese said.

Danny M.G., manager of the the Dragon's Breath booth, said there are similar products being sold across the country.

He said the dessert has been tested and is safe.

He does compare it to dealing with hot foods like soup.

If you eat it wrong, you can get burned.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending