WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Scotland Road/ Blue Angel Parkway fire update

ESCAMBIA COUNTY   --  AA fire heavily damaged a house in southwest Escambia County this morning.
   
It was an early, holiday wake up call for a quiet neighborhood.
This 4th of July morning started with a bang on this quiet street off Blue Angel Parkway in Pensacola.

Instead of fireworks it  was a fire taking this home.
The blaze started quickly and it didn't take long for this home to be covered in flames.

Lana Malaise and her family are visiting at her parents house nextdoor.
Her holiday got off to an early and dramatic start.

Lana Malaise/Staying Nextdoor
"We got a knock on the door ringing the doorbell like an emergency was happening about 7:30 I guess... 7:35."

"We got all the kids out, mom and dad out. It was full flame burning. Someone driving by had come and knocked on the door to wake us up."

Fire crews were on the scene in a matter of minutes battling the blaze for more than an hour.
Neighbors told firefighters the house was empty and they were relieved to find that was the case.

Lt. Scott Averill/Escambia County Fire And Rescue
"That was what we were told. We never assume that. We had crews do a primary search, and it was negative. Nobody was inside."

Robert Price and his business partners just purchased the house on Scotland Road.
The plan was to remodel the property...
That plan has changed.

Robert Price/Home Owner
"We closed on this house last Friday. It's a rehab process. We'd been working on it a couple of days, basically just cleaning it up and getting it ready. And got a phone call this morning that it had caught fire."

Matt Robinson/Home Owner
"It's amazing the timing of this. We just bought it about a week ago and started to spend some money on it. I'm glad we didn't get any further along in it."

Storms were rolling through the area during the early morning hours.
There was initial speculation that lightning may have hit the home... But a little digging may have uncovered the true culprit.

Matt Robinson/Home Owner
"he told us that is started in the a/c closet. At first they thought maybe the attic, but once they looked at kind of the burn marks and the burn patterns. And it's kind of surprising because the a/c really wasn't that old. It was i think only about ten years old."

The new owners of this home are considering demolishing it down to the ground.
The State Fire Marshall is investigating.