WEAR ABC 3 - Search Results
E-cigarette blamed for fire in Valpariaso
VALPARAISO An electronic cigarette is being blamed for a fire in Valparaiso Sunday. The battery blew up and set the kitchen curtains on fire.
Laura Hussey "This is a typical electronic cigarette. People use them because there's really no smoke involved, it's a vapor. The liquid nicotine goes in this end. This part is the battery"
At Vapor Planet in Fort Walton Beach, Nicco Rosetti is sampling different flavors of e-liquid. He gave up tobacco two months ago.
Nicco Rosetti says, "I wanted to quit smoking but I didn't want to quit smoking"
The cigarettes many believe are safer do have some risk. In 2012, an E-cig exploded in a Niceville man's face. Sunday, an E-cig battery on a charger blew up at a home in Valparaiso. Fire chief Mark Norris says it flew four and a half feet across the kitchen and set the curtains on fire.
Chief Norris says, "It's is just an electronic device. And any electronic device can create....can be a generator for fire"
Frankie Sanchez sells electronic cigarettes at water cloud in Santa Rosa Mall. He says their lithium ion battery is the same one many people have in their cell phones. But he says it's important to use it properly.
Sanchez says, "If you kind of overextend the bounds, or do too much to a battery, overload it, what have you, those are the types of things that can actually cause concern and actually cause a safety hazard."
Sanchez says it's very important to use only the charger that comes with the cigarette. Others could look the same but have a different output. Chief Norris says it's possible the charger in the Valparaiso incident was not the right one.
Nicco Rosetti has heard about the accidents, but says so far, he's not worried.
Rosetti says, "Not at all, the manufacturer pretty much tells you what you have to do with your cigarette, how to stay safe"
Laura Hussey "The e-cigarette industry is a 2-billion dollar market. The government is considering some form of regulation, perhaps before the end of the year."