Weather Alert


A tropical wave in the western Atlantic is moving northwest and will enter the Caribbean Sea.  Our First Warning Weather team is watching the storm and will have updates on all Channel 3 News broadcasts.



WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Update: Driver shot after high-speed chase from White House to capitol

WASHINGTON -- It's quiet on Capitol Hill today, a far cry from the scene that unfolded yesterday.
Police shot and killed 34-year-old Miriam Carey after chasing her from the White House to the capitol.
Miriam Carey's friends and family say they're shocked - they cant believe the 34-year-old mother was behind the wheel during this high speed chase through Washington DC yesterday.
Yolanda Napoleon, family friend said, "She had a wonderful life."
But we're learning details that authorities believe may be a factor in yesterday's dramatic police pursuit that ended in Carey's death. Carey's mother told ABC News that Miriam struggled since she gave birth to her daughter Erika last August.
"She had post-partum depression after having the baby. A few months later, she got sick.  She was depressed she was hospitalized."
On December 10, 2012, Carey's then boyfriend - Erikas father told Stamford police he was afraid for the baby's safety.
Carey said that President Obama had placed the Connecticut city under lockdown and placed her home under electronic surveillance.
Twice in two weeks she was taken to the hospital for a mental health evaluation.
Initial reports at the time said she was on medication for unknown mental illness and had a family history of schizophrenia.
"There's postpartum psychosis where you lose connection. That would be more likely."
Now Carey's friends and family are struggling for answers.
Dr. Steven Oken , Carey's boss of eight years, told ABC News that she was "always happy" and a "non-political person."
One of Carey's childhood friends said he just saw her on Tuesday.
Childhood friend Donald Kowles said, "Everything was ok, hi, a little joke, and she went about her business. It was just."