WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Update: Officer Involved Shooting

A teenager is dead and a Pensacola Police officer is on paid administrative leave after an officer involved shooting.   
    It happened at the end of a high-speed chase around 5:30 Tuesday morning.

17-year-old William Goodman the third was shot at the intersection of Bayfront Parkway and 17th Avenue.
    Goodman had been facing charges stemming from a deadly crash in Santa Rosa County earlier this year.
Officers say William Goodman had been recklessly driving a corvette in this area at speeds nearing 100 miles per hour, before they finally caught up with him at this intersection.
In front of a stop light on 17th Avenue officers managed to block the car in, but they say Goodman then started ramming their vehicles.
    At one point they say he ran over Sergeant Steve Bauer's right leg.
Officer Chad Wilhite then opened fire hitting Goodman and apparently shattering the corvette's driver's side window.

Kyle Ross a reporter for news-radio happened to be driving by just after the shooting on his way into work.
    "This was quite the, uh, quite the scene." "I was able to see one person on the ground. I could not tell if he was being treated or handcuffed."

Goodman was taken to the hospital where he died a short time later.
The teen had already been in trouble with the law over a deadly accident in March.
Authorities say Goodman was driving a mitsubishi eclipse that hit and killed 66 year-old Michael Labelle and injured his daughter as they were walking near Gulf Breeze.
    "We heard a squeal of tires and then that's when we got hit from behind."
Goodman was charged with reckless driving and vehicular homicide in that crash and was due in court next month.
After today's shooting police released a statement saying a handwritten note from Goodman to his parents was found at his home.
    They would not elaborate as to what the note said.
Sergeant Steve Bauer, the officer whose leg was run over, was treated and released from the hospital.
Officer Wilhite remains on paid administrative leave, which is customary in any officer involved shooting.