WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Update: Aydelott competency hearing

A Gulf Breeze teenager charged with the murder of his mother on Christmas Eve, will not be going to trial any time soon. A Santa Rosa County judge ruled that 17-year-old William Brandon Aydelott is not competent to stand trial. Sharon Aydelott body was found in her home, stabbed and beaten to death. Investigators say her son confessed to the crime that night.

The hearing inside this courtroom only lasted about ten minutes. The state did not object to sending Aydelott to Florida State Hospital to regain competence. Before the hearing even started, Aydelott sat down looking calm, when he suddenly turned toward the media and began speaking. Much of what he said did not make sense.

"I'm always right and if you don't believe me, bad things will happen," he said. 

His attorneys quickly took him out of the courtroom.

"We've had several attorneys meet with him within the first 48 hours of being detained. We quickly drew the conclusion he had some issues," said Bruce Miller, public defender. 
    Circuit judge John Simon said Aydelott is not competent to stand trial. This was based on evaluations from two experts who spoke to him inside the jail. The judge ordered Aydelott to be sent to the Florida State Hospital for six months to regain competence and be evaluated.

"Then when he is brought back, any other issues, such as insanity at the time of offense, can be evaluated at that time. If it is raised by the defense,"    said Bill Eddins, State Attorney.

Those evaluations are sealed and neither attorney is discussing it.

"I don't want to get into the specifics of jail visits or our observations of what our attorneys and staff have observed," said Miller.

    Aydelott was also arraigned. He pleaded not guilty  to first degree murder. He also pleaded not guilty to battery against a law enforcement officer, stemming from an incident inside the jail.
    According to a Santa Rosa County Sheriff's report, on January 1st, Aydelott punched an officer in the jaw, when he did not get to see a doctor right away.

"Both charges are on hold until it's determined whether or not he's competent to proceed, hopefully within a few months,"  said Eddins.

    Aydelott will spend the next six months at Florida State Hospital. He's expected to be back in court on July 14th.