WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Unemployment website supposedly getting better

Thousands of Floridians are still having trouble with the state's connect unemployment website.
The 63 million dollar project is improving, but still isn't perfect

Friday means paychecks for a lot of people in the state, but there are still thousands of job seeking Floridians scratching their heads over their benefits thanks to Florida's CONNECT website.

The unemployment system has had a rough ride since its launch in October.  A federal investigation found that people eligible for benefits were being flagged in the system. The state's Department of Economic Opportunity declined an interview on the website's status.  The department has been fining contractor since December to the tune of 15 thousand dollars a day. That's added up to $480,000 so far

A month ago the department was answering about a third of the calls coming in, now its up to 8 out of 10.

Sen. Alan Hays/(R) Lake County
"Oh it's a very big concern, you bet your boots it is. I mean this is affecting people's lives, and we want to get it right as quickly as we can and we're putting as much pressure on Deloitte as we can to get things corrected."

The state is hiring 250 employees by the end of February to handle claims, and another 80 to work in the call center. Governor Rick Scott says they're doing the best they can.

Gov Rick Scott/(R) Florida
"They're working very diligently, they're going to get that done. They care about making sure that every Floridian has a right to get their unemployment benefits."

While the Connect System still struggles to make sure all Floridian's receive their checks, the DEO maintains that it is operating above the level of the system it replaced. A department spokeswoman says that there are about 20,000 people flagged in the system, down from 60,000 about a month ago.