WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Two companies pay damages to Destin family


An Okaloosa County jury has awarded nearly $15 million in damages to a family devastated by a natural gas explosion 4 years ago.

The Destin home of Michael Blanchard and Faye Boroughs was nearly leveled when the gas ignited in their laundry room in November, 2009. Blanchard died from his injuries 3 weeks later.
Boroughs was burned over a third of her body, but survived. Their 3-year-old son suffered psychological damage.

The jury found that two companies  "Panhandle Plumbing" and "Andrews Cooling and Heating" were responsible for the blast by not following code., and failing to train their technicians properly.