WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Early morning fire in Gonzalez destroys home

GONZALEZ  --  An early morning fire has left a Gonzalez man without a home.
It happened on the 10,000 block of Vineyard Lane.

An early morning fire has left a Gonzalez man without a home. It happened on Vineyard lane.
The fire broke out around 4:40 Wednesday morning. The homeowner, Charles Stewart, says it started in the bedroom while the homeowner was still in the bed. He says a blanket was on top of some wires and that's what sparked the blaze. Stewart said, "I woke up and the foot of my bed was on fire."
 
Stewart was able to make it out of the house in time. Unfortunately his dog didn't. He said, "His name was Trooper. e was a pitbull. He burnt in the fire, never woke up. He was still laying in his bed.

He lost just about everything else inside as well. While firefighters were inside, they found Trooper and buried him. As all this started to sink in, the Red Cross showed up and to Stewart's surprise, it was an old friend from the Navy coming to help.

The home is completely destroyed. Stewart will be staying with friends until he figures out what to do next.