Weather Alert


A tropical wave in the western Atlantic is moving northwest and will enter the Caribbean Sea.  Our First Warning Weather team is watching the storm and will have updates on all Channel 3 News broadcasts.



WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Waterfront Mission storm damage

The Waterfront Rescue Mission is working to get their facilities open after this week's flooding.
Some of their facilities got nearly eight inches of rain inside.
The rescue mission had nearly a hundred clients spending the night during the flooding-- they have been sent to other locations.
What clean up crews are doing to dry the building.
Clean up crews have to rip-up the base of the walls--
They have to dry everything to prevent mold and mildew--

Blowers have been running throughout the halls of the waterfront rescue mission--
Furniture-- stacked and drying--

And take a look at this building-- it housed the offices-- now it's left in shambles.
Nearly a hundred people slept in these beds-- clients going through the missions programs-- they all had to be evacuated during the flooding.

"We're fortunate that we can move our men that were staying with us at our programs.   Career development, got some, it's crowded but we have a facility we can move them to and all with them out there."

Aside from the mission's clients-- the shelter also offered temporary housing for the homeless. 
Mission leaders say the needy now have to go to other organizations like the Salvation Army-- or stay in the streets.

The building that houses the shelter only is two years old-- this is the second time it's flooded since it was opened.

The estimated cost of damage: Up to 350,000 dollars.
Rescue mission leaders say they've learned a few things from the last flooding--

They now have flood insurance to pay for this damage--
They hope to have their reopen this building in the next ten days, and reopen the rest of their facilities in the next few days--