WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Insurance coverage for damaged homes

If your home or business took on water during the storm.
How it got in will determine what your insurance will cover.

If your roof leaked, your property insurance should handle it.
But if it's rising water that came in over your threshold, it's flood damage.
And only flood insurance will cover the damage.

Eddie Zarahn/insurance agent, "The problem that insurance agents have always endeavored to work around is the flood zone determines if the lender requires the borrower to buy flood insurance. So when you live in Cantonment or Ensley, an area that historically doesn't flood one would think there's no need to buy it, but I think what these rains have shown, that you can be flooded anywhere. It doesn't matter what flood zone you're in. You can be flooded."

If your car was damaged, he says your car policy's "comprehensive coverage" should pay for it.

If you have insurance questions.

The State Chief Financial Officer says this is the number to call.

Call the Florida Department of Financial Services' insurance consumer helpline.
    That number is 1-877-693-5236

The hotline will be able to take calls this weekend from 8am-5pm.

The Pensacola Office on East Burgess road will also be open this weekend from 8-5.
Financial reps from the state are expected to be there.