HEALTH ALERT

HEALTH ALERT

  • AIR QUALITY HEALTH ALERT: Issued by Florida Department Of Health Escambia County

    07/22/14 14:53:46

    From the Florida Department of Health Escambia County: Effective immediately, in response to air quality monitoring, the FDOH-Escambia is issuing a health alert for the area surrounding the Wedgewood Community Center and the Rolling Hill Construction and Demolition Landfill in Escambia County, Florida.
    http://tinyurl.com/o8dm7dj

Weather Alert

TROPICAL DEPRESSION 2

Tropical Depression 2 has formed over the Atlantic Ocean. The system is moving west and is headed to the Caribbean Sea. This system is not forecast to become much stronger and could become non-tropical by Thursday.

WEATHER ALERT


TROPICAL DEPRESSION 2

WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Florida children shocked in pool


We are getting a better look at an incident where three Florida kids were severely injured after their pool's water became electrified. Roger Lohse obtained the new surveillance video and tells us what happened.

Keep your eye on the little girl bouncing in the water as she makes her way over the metal hand rail. When she touches it, her head goes back and she freezes, her muscles paralyzed by electricity and unable to let go.

Within seconds the man on the steps realizes something's wrong. He grabs the little girl, gets shocked too then yanks the child out of the water. But it's not over, you see that dark patch in the water, that's another child. The electrical current has also rendered her unable to get out of the pool. Everybody else has scattered. Finally a man comes to help risks his own life and pulls the girl's limp body out of the water.

This happened on a Sunday afternoon last month at the Palms West Gardens Condominium. Inspectors say three children were shocked when the pool pump, which wasn't properly grounded, malfunctioned and electrified the water.

"I was in the pool and then the metal railing, I was swimming close to it, and I felt a shock," said 10-year-old victim Diego Cabrera.

He and his 6-year-old sister and 5-year-old girl not pictured, spent four nights in the hospital.

Hialeah City inspectors blame the near tragedy on unpermitted and shoddy electrical work.  It happened two weeks after 7-year-old Calder Sloan of North Miami, was electrocuted by the light in his pool. It also wasn't
wired correctly.

The children in this video were lucky to survive their shocking and no doubt grateful to the people who pulled them out of the pool.