Special Advertiser Content
If you use a generator to keep your fridge and some lights going, be sure to follow these safety guidelines.
Don't run the generator indoors or near an open window. They put off carbon monoxide that can kill you if inhaled.
Never hook the generator directly to your circuit breaker panel or household wiring. Feedback on the transmission lines can kill or injure linemen trying to restore power.
The Portable Generators Manufacturers Association has more safety tips on its "Take Your Generator Outside" website.