Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Pensacola community rallies against gun violence after teen's tragic death


WEAR
WEAR
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- The calls for an end to gun violence are growing louder in the Pensacola community following the tragic deadly shooting of a 15-year-old on Thursday night.

The victim's family stood in solidarity next to faith leaders and community activists for a vigil on Friday.

It was held at Gonzalez Court, steps away from where 15-year-old Marco Banks was gunned down.

There was that and also anger and outrage, anger over the teen-on-teen violence, and outrage that violence was even an option to settle whatever score there might’ve been between the two young men.

At a community vigil at Gonzalez Court heavy hearts could be seen and felt.

"I got the phone call last night, and they told me my brother had been shot," Jedidah Banks, Marco's sister said.

The heartbreak of young love was felt by the girlfriend of the victim.

15-year-old Janiya Jackson said he was visiting her before someone shot and killed him outside this house.

"We were just hanging out and he went out the back door to go do something," Jackson said. "I just know that someone had called me and told me that he had gotten shot.”

The loss of a child is a grief etched in Banks' father heart. A man who shares the name of his son, now taken from him.

"All this violence needs to stop," Marco Banks Sr. said.

It's hard for his mother to accept the fact that he's gone.

"This is just something that really hasn't kicked in yet," Stephanie Bonner Banks, Marco's mother said. "I'm taking it real light right now because it just takes me a minute to realize that this is really happening. I feel like he's still in his room."

Calls for an end to senseless violence grew louder from Pensacola's chief of police.

"We need to have conflict resolution," Pensacola Police Chief Eric Randall said. "If there's a dispute, walk away. Too many families, too many neighbors, too many schoolmates, too many community members are suffering."

That plea for peace was echoed by faith leaders and County Commissioner Lumon May at Friday's vigil.

"What a sad day," Commissioner May said. "It’s unfortunate that there were choices that were made that should have been made. There are families that are hurting. It’s not just the family of the deceased, it’s also the family of the assailant.”

Only the investigation, and time, will tell what led up to the teen-on-teen violence. But what's clear is that an entire community is shouldering his family's grief.

"I'm so hurt right now, but I know I'm going to stay strong, because God got us," Jedidah said.

The victim's grandfather said there are rumors spreading that his grandson was bullying the other teen, who pulled the trigger.

Again, the motive is still under investigation.

But the family is adamant that whatever the issue it should've been settled peacefully.

Loading ...